What is Education?E- Enlightment
In English the term 'Education' has been derived from two Latin words Educare (Educere) and Educatum. “Educare” means to train. It again means to bring up or to lead out or to draw out, propulsion from inward to outward. The term “Educatum” denotes the act of teaching. It throws light on the principles and practice of teaching.
Education is the backbone of a nation.
|Education stand for|
Education is the process by which our mind develops through formal learning at an institution like a school, college or university. It is mental and intellectual training, which provides opportunities or growth and helps to meet challenges and overcome obstacles to progress.
According to Business Dictionary: EDUCATION is the wealth of knowledge acquired by an individual after studying particular subject matters or experiencing life lessons that provide an understanding of something. Education requires instruction of some sort from an individual or composed literature. The most common forms of education result from years of schooling that incorporates studies of a variety of subjects. "Jamie knew the importance of an education, so she chose to go to a four-year university after graduating from high school."
If we mention certain definitions of education of great educators of the East and the West, we may have a clear picture of the nature and meaning
of the term education.
01. J.F. Herbert - "Education is the development of good moral character."
02. Aristotle - "Education is the creation of sound mind in a sound body. It develops man's faculty specially his mind so that he may be able to enjoy the contemplation of supreme truth, goodness and beauty."
03. Plato - "Education develops in the body and soul of the pupil all the beauty and all the perfection he is capable of."
04. Rabindranath Tagore - "The highest education is that which does not merely give us information but makes our life in
harmony with all existence."
05. T.P. Nunn - "Education is the complete development of the individuality of the child so that he can make an original contribution to human life according to the best of his capacity."
06. Pestalozzi - "Education is the harmonious and progressive development of all the innate powers and faculties of man- physical, intellectual and moral."
07. John Dewey - "Education is not a preparation for life, rather it is the living. Education is the process of living through a continuous reconstruction of experiences. It is the development of all those capacities in the individual which will enable him to control his environment and fulfill his possibilities."
Education may be defined as a conscious or unconscious, psychological,sociological, scientific and philosophical process, which brings about the development of the individual to the fullest extent and also the maximum development of society in such a way that both enjoy maximum happiness and prosperity. It is the development of individual according to his needs and demands of society, of which he is an integral part.