SENTENCE:A group of words like this, which makes complete sense, is called a Sentence.
a) Jack is a good boy.
b) I am a student.
Read: Parts of Speech
Kinds of Sentences:Sentences are of five kinds:
1. Declarative or Assertive sentence
2. Interrogative sentence
3. Imperative sentence
4. Optative sentence
5. Exclamatory sentence.
- Declarative or Assertive sentence: A sentence that makes a statement or assertion is called a Declarative or Assertive.
Example: John is a good player.
- Interrogative sentence: A sentence that asks a question is called an Interrogative sentence.
Example: Where do you live?
- Imperative sentence: A sentence that expresses a command or an entreaty is called an Imperative sentence.
Example: Have mercy upon us.
- Optative sentence: A sentence that expresses a wish, desire or a hope is called an Optative sentence.
Example: God bless you!
- Exclamatory sentence: A sentence that expresses strong feeling is called an Exclamatory sentence.
Example: What a shame!